Friday 23 June 2017

The Gambia - Day 3

Day 3
So even though we thought there would be a night time call out, I woke up at 06:30 from my alarm and not a member of the security team dragging us out of the country, good news I thought! I opened my curtains and there was military in the hotel courtyard, I thought strange, however it must be ok as we have not been dragged out. 

So once I’m showered and ready for the day, I went down for breakfast and walking outside, I saw another soldier, with a very happy smile and a wave, so I waved back and met my colleagues. At breakfast the security team came to brief us on the situation. 

Current Situation:

The president has until 12:00 to step down of the Senegalese army would take over, if this happened we had the exit plans in place. 

There is army in the hotel and even though the Senegalese army are in the country, this is the Gambian army, the reason why the hotel has been secured overnight, we were not the only guests, the president of Mauritania had arrived in the night and he was staying in the hotel, he had the job of convincing the president to step down. As they had a foreign leader in the hotel and the extra security was in place, it was confirmed that we were in the most secure location in the country and there was no risk to us. We saw this when leaving the hotel and going through many levels of military gates as checks, every soldier was very friendly. 

On our way to the airport, there were many more check points on the roads, the most notable aspect was how empty the streets were, and there was not a person to be see. We had noted this, until one point when there was a middle aged European couple cycling on the street, we were all amazed and named them Nigel and Doris, who noticed the streets were quiet, so the day would be good for a bike ride! Some people eh!

So we arrived at the airport and all seemed very, very quiet, we walked through the doors and there were approx. 40-50 people. We walked past the security barrier and had an amazing surprise, the local ground team had got up early, taken note of our organisation and planned out the check in areas, so we were ready to go. 

Today there would have been more organisation needed, as there were 3 other airlines operating, running their scheduled services, which we had to bear in mind and give fair access to their check in areas, and on top of this, the Swedish and Finnish foreign offices had also changed their travel advices, so our Northern European customers and staff would be leaving today too. 

This meant we would operate with 5 check in desks, one for the 2 BHX flights, one for the 2 LGW flights, one for the 2 MAN flights and finally 2 for the 2 HEL flights. This meant blocking access until people who were on the correct flights could come in, then outside the security area we would setup holding areas for various other flights, and then another area for customers on these flights but would like to get on the earlier flights. 

Airport all setup, it was my task to liaise with the FCO and keep an eye on general ops assisting where possible. Check in had opened, all went well and the queues for the UK flights remained quiet, with low loads on each flight, as each flight was officially full I could not let people check in on the earlier flight, these went into the standby queue, as they were already on the later flight, it was a change to get home a lot earlier. Check in closed one hour before the flight was due to depart, at this time for the first was of UK flights, there was low loads and we allowed everyone to go on the early flights. We also started to gradually sent team members back. We also got a team airside to speak to the customers and show representation at all areas, this is not always possible, so when we have a change it is a great aspect of customer service, in some places we are not even allowed to enter the building. 

The Northern European customers arrived and the airport became a mess again, which was a shame, but we controlled the best we could, with the amazing help from the local NE reps (who can speak the language), we monitored and kept on going as well as we could. 

This is where the running around constantly and speaking to team members, governments and customers none stop, I started to love my voice. Finally we got all checked in, then I went to the desk to check in myself and my colleagues to leave on one of the last flights (by 5 mins) to BHX. Its always strange writing your own boarding card and adding yourself to the manifest. 

All checked in, no UK customers left and the Northern European guests and staff all now checked in, it was time for me to leave. Even after only 3 days in the Gambia, the local check in team all came to say goodbye and give us big hugs. 

Off too immigration I want, remember when I arrived I mentioned we skipped this part, luckily I got to know the immigration and security team well over the last few days as I was constantly going airside to help. He stepped out of the booth, saw my passport and boarding pass, he said, “you don’t need a stamp do you”, my answer “no we “forgot” on arrival, but I’d like one” he laughed and said thanks for everything have a good flight and see you soon, no stamps for me! I had a nice goodbye from the security team, at the gate, we advised that the team lead was finishing some paperwork so don’t close until he is through. They gave use hugs and thanks for everything, we advised we will be back soon for a holiday in the future, I would recommend it, the people are great.

So we got on the bus, the gate agent passed me the manifest to pass to the flight crew, amazing to see the paperwork I had written. Whilst on the bus waiting for the team lead to join us, we saw him run out of the door and run to the plane across the tarmac. You can just see him here

So we advised the gate team, and we were bused to the plane, of course I had to take a pic.

So I stepped on board, said hi, handed over the manifest and we each found a row seats each at the back. The crew came down, we had a chat, and obviously a lot of shop talk! 
MT4951
A321 G-DHJH
BJL-LPA-BHX (Diverted to EMA)
Sched: No Sched as a rescue flight
Act: 17:09-01:40

We were flying to BHX via LPA, where we would change crew refuel and head off home, to BHX, or what we thought. 
The taxi was simple and time to take off, goodbye Gambia and our Scandinavian plane!

There was a service in flight, so being cheeky, I had the chicken & the beef! One thing I must admit, even though we have a small charter airline, our food is very good BA take some tips. 

The flight to LPA was a short 2 hours, where we landed and said goodbye to the amazing, friendly crew that we had. The new crew had arrived, and had obviously been briefed on who we were, so came down and gave us all a welcome hello and we had a chat. 
Then…

..The pilot made an announcement, the usual welcome and then advising that the flight was being diverted to EMA and everyone would be bused home. After the days everyone had, you can imagine the response on the plane was not popular, I was out of action by then, my voice had fully gone. The team leader got up and spoke to the pilot to find out what was happening and the situation, he advised that the central department had changed the plan an hour earlier, when we were in flight and there was nothing that could be done, but to get home. He was up and down the flight speaking to the customers, showing a real high level of customer service, after everyone had calmed down, we took off and on our final leg to EMA. 

This leg was quiet, as most people, including myself fell asleep, and we finally arrived on UK soil. As it is EMA, the bus gate airport we had to wait for buses, the team leader set off straight away at landing and got off first and went through to check everything was setup for the customers, me and my other colleague stayed on as normal passengers at this part. 

Once we were off, time to get the bus to immigration, on this cold, foggy night a big change from the 35C temps we had in the Gambia.



Once we were processed through immigration, it was clear for us, as we planned for a day trip, we only had our backpacks. Straight outside, we saw the team lead and he was with the ground team, introductions were made, and they advised all was in hand and we were good to go. 

Our taxi was awaiting to take us back to Peterborough, where our office is based. Finally arrive back at approx. 3am, I found my car like this


So another 10 mins defrosting, and finally I got to go home, get the 3 days clothes off and sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment